The two most obvious signs that should alert you to mould are; Smell & Visible black mould.
You often hear people refer to that mouldy smell, but what does it mean, what does it smell like. Mould smells musty, earthy – it’s an unpleasant odour, usually limited to a room or an area. Often when you open a cupboard, or an enclosed area you will find this smell.
The only way to remove the smell is to remove the mould.
If you can see it, you’ve got it. Most people know they have a mould problem when they see the tell-tale signs of “Black” mould showing somewhere is the house. However, black mould is not the only type. If you live in a damp environment there is a high chance mould is growing somewhere.
Because mould spores are very tiny and very light, they easily become airborne. Once floating around in the air, mould spores are easily inhaled by anyone in the vicinity. It’s not healthy to inhale any type of mould spores, but some types of mould actually produce toxins, known as mycotoxins, that frequently cause a variety of health problems.
Mould can be harmful for your health
Some of the illnesses caused by mould include aspergillosis, blasto mycosis, histoplasmosis, coccidioidomycosis, paracoccidioidomycosis, sporotricosis, and systemic candidiasis (a yeast infection). Symptoms of mould related illness are wide-ranging and include:
Symptoms of mould related illness are wide-ranging and include:
Trouble breathing, wheezing, and shortness of breath
Red, itchy, watery eyes
runny- or stuffed up nose
Rashes or hives
or asthma-like symptoms in people not previously diagnosed with the disease
such as pneumonia and bronchitis
Depressed immune system
causing you to get sick easily