loader image

How to tell if I have mould

The two most obvious signs that should alert you to mould are:
Smell & Visible black mould.

Mould has a very distinct and unpleasant odour. It smells ‘musty or earthy’, often referred to as ‘that old,
mouldy smell’. The smell can be limited to a room or a cupboard or be through an entire area. When you open
an enclosed area if there is mould present you will immediately notice the strong smell.

The other obvious sign that mould is present, and that you should be alerted, is by site. Black Mould is highly visible. However, whilst you can smell mould most of the time it is not always black nor is it always visible. White mould in fact is virtually invisible and is more harmful to our health than the black variety.

The mould odour can be removed by treating the area correctly and killing the mould spores. The black residue left behind however is usually stain and often must be painted out, or otherwise treated, depending on the material in question.

CLICK here to book your assessment!

Visible mould

The tell-tale sign of “Black” mould visible somewhere in the house is an obvious indicator that mould is present… If you can see it, you’ve got it. It can appear anywhere inside closed cupboards , behind an open door, the back of your couch, on your pantry items or under the kitchen table… it does not discriminate.

However, black mould is not the only type. If you live in a damp environment there is a high likelihood one or another form of mould is present somewhere. Often it is just not visible.

Mould spores are minute and very light, they easily become airborne. These tiny spores if inhaled can be very dangerous to our health. Some moulds produce a toxin known as ‘mycotoxins’ that can cause a variety of health issues, some very debilitating and problematic to remedy once nestled in your lungs.

Ref www.sciencedirect.com:
Mycotoxins are fungal metabolites which when ingested, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin can cause disease or death in humans and domestic animals..

Mould can be harmful to your health

Some of the currently known mould related illnesses: Aspergillosis, Blasto Mycosis,
Histoplasmosis, Coccidioidomycosis, Paracoccidioidomycosis, Sporotrichosis, Systemic Candidiasis
(a yeast infection).

Symptoms of mould related illness are wide-ranging and could include:

  • HEADACHE
  • SORE THROAT
  • TROUBLE BREATHING
    Trouble breathing, wheezing, and shortness of breath
  • RED, ITCHY, WATERY EYES
  • CHRONIC SINUSITIS
    (sinus infections)
  • FATIGUE
  • SNEEZING
  • RUNNY- OR STUFFED UP NOSE
  • DEPRESSION
  • COUGHING
  • RASHES OR HIVES
  • ASTHMA ATTACKS
    or asthma-like symptoms in people not previously diagnosed with the disease
  • LUNG INFECTIONS
    such as pneumonia and bronchitis
  • DEPRESSED IMMUNE SYSTEM
    causing you to get sick easily

Don’t let mould ruin your life!
Call us today for an assessment or fill out our enquiry form.

+65 8515 8223

ENQUIRY FORM

× How can I help you?